This is a super quick annotated list of things that have blessed me during the season of Lent. I hope this gives you some ideas of things to try for the next 40 days.
- Biola University puts out both a Lent and Advent Project every year. The email gets sent to your inbox and every day, during that particular season in the church calendar, you receive a devotional thought coupled with some music and artwork. I love the combo of visual, audio, and cerebral worship that is provided. Here’s the link to sign up for this year’s project.
- Speaking of projects, these guys are doing an amazing job of providing deeply engaging scripture study in a visual format. I’d recommend choosing a video a day to embrace for Lent.
- I stumbled upon this author during seminary and found his voice to be a joyful and thoughtful one. He is offering a “Lent with Merton” sending quotes and bits of journal treasure from Thomas Merton.
- If you want a beautiful read, this book by Walt Wangerin, Jr. is a treasure to savor. I was gifted this by some dear friends who were wilderness guides with me back in the day (20 years ago) and I still return to it regularly.
- A few years back I tried going vegetarian for Lent. I learned that it is possible with the help of some key soup recipes. Here’s a site with further ideas for you carnivore types.
- Finally, I cannot say enough about getting outside for a daily Lenten walk. I think that’s going to be part of my plan this year. If you need some musical inspiration while you recreate, try this guy or this gal on your playlist.